[R] Range plots (lattice or base?)

Greg Snow greg.snow at ihc.com
Wed Oct 19 21:28:39 CEST 2005

Using base graphics you can use the bxp function.  This is what
boxplot calls to do the actual plotting.  Look at the return value
for boxplot in the help for boxplot to see the form of the data
that needs to be passed to bxp (also look at the help for bxp)
You could write a simple function that takes your data frame
and extracts the appropriate numbers into a matrix within a list
to pass to bxp.

hope this helps,

Greg Snow, Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center, LDS Hospital
Intermountain Health Care
greg.snow at ihc.com
(801) 408-8111

>>> "Mike Bock" <mbock at Environcorp.com> 10/19/05 12:53PM >>>
I am looking to create what I would call a "simple variation" on the
boxplot. What I would like to do is to be able to plot the upper and
lower confidence limits as the "box" and the 10th and 90th percentile
as
the whiskers. What I have done is write the code to create a
dataframe,
the columns of which are the mean, sd, 10th percentile, 90th
percentile,
lower confidence limit of the mean, and upper confidence limit of the
mean, the rows are the groups. I have exported this to excel and get
the
graph I want by using the stock graphs in excel that plot open, close,
high and low but I would much prefer to do this in R for reason too
numerous to enumerate.

I have looked high and low and even took a brief look at the bwplot
code
in the lattice package.  Given my experience level it would take quite
while for me to modify the bwplot code to get what I want and create a
new graph type, assuming I could get it to work at all. Does anyone
know
of an easier way to get what I want, with and example? Lattice, grid,
base, whatever, I don't especially care what tools I need to use. My
only constrante is that I feed it the values required as a dataframe
rather than calculate it on the fly so if we change our minds about
UCL
method or percentiles there is no problem.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Michael Bock PhD
ENVIRON International Corporation