[R] strange behaviour of memory management

Meinhard Ploner meinhard.ploner at soundinvest.net
Thu Oct 20 10:27:43 CEST 2005

Hi all!
My system: R 2.1.1, Mac OS X 10.4.2.

I have a very memory-consuming job for R, consisting of a function
calling some other functions, working often with matrices of size
100.000 x 300. If I call the job directly after starting R the job
takes overall 40min, however only 7min of process time. I assume the
large difference is through memory-handling which doesn't count as
process time. If i start the job after I make some shorter runs, some
programming, then the job stops by reaching a memory limit. It seems
that R doesn't release all the memory even if it don't adds global
objects.

Further I'm interesited if for a UNIX-derivate like Mac OS X gc() or
rm(localObjects) (used in local functions) make any difference/
advantage??

Best
Meinhard Ploner
Erste Bank