[R] Male and female symbols?

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Oct 24 11:04:45 CEST 2005

(Ted Harding) wrote:

> For example -- though I'm not seriously saying I need this --
> in a population study of faxes and rabbits surveyed over several
> years, one might wish to plot the Rabbit population using tiny
> rabbits as points, and foxes' heads for the Fox population.

  I cant help thinking now of the graphic shown on the 'Brass Eye'
comedy show on Animal Cruelty. Cue totally over-the-top 3d zooming
barchart with mad lighting effects, and voice-over:

'If you plot "number of animals abused" against "what makes people
cruel" versus "intelligence of either party", the pattern is so
unreadable you might as well draw in a chain of fox heads on sticks.
And if you do that, an interesting thing happens: the word "cruel"
starts flashing.'

  But seriously: you could load in an image with the pixmap package and
plot with that:

library(pixmap)
x <- read.pnm(system.file("pictures/logo.ppm", package="pixmap")[1])
plot(1:10,type='n')
for(i in 1:10){addlogo(x,px=c(i-.2,i+.2),py=c(i-.2,i+.2))}

 From there to a chain of fox heads on sticks is a small step.

Baz