[R] Out of memory

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Oct 24 20:37:52 CEST 2005

On 10/24/2005 2:27 PM, Elizabeth Lawson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using gamm and I run out of memory and R crashes.  I have tried to change the amount of memory in R using memory.limit as so far the largest it has allowed
> memory.limit(size=3072)
> still ahs this problem.
>
> If I try to use max I get the following error
>> memory.limit(memory.size(max=TRUE))
> Error in memory.size(size) : don't be silly!: your machine has a 4Gb address limit
>

> Does anyone have any sugestions on how to get more memory ot R?

Notice that those functions report sizes in bytes, but memory.limit
takes input in megabytes.  That's the reason for the "don't be silly"
message.

To get more than 3 GB out of R, you're probably going to have to run a
64 bit version.  The theoretical limit for 32 bit versions is 4 GB, but
most OS's reserve 1-2 GB for themselves.

Duncan Murdoch