[R] R- exp(-1000) ? - how to get R to give me an actual answer ?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 07:42:14 CEST 2005

Since log base 10 is log(x)/log(10) the exponent is:

	floor(log(exp(-1000))/log(10))
	= floor(-1000/log(10))

which in an R session gives:

	> floor(-1000/log(10))
	[1] -435

and the mantissa is:

	exp(-1000)/10^(-435)
	= exp(-1000)/exp(-435*log(10))
	= exp(-1000+435*log(10))

which in an R session gives:

	> exp(-1000+435*log(10))
	[1] 5.075959

Thus the answer is 5.075959e-435 though, of course,
we can't represent that directly on your computer.

We can double check this with yacas which is a free
computer algebra system that supports arbitrary
precision math: