[R] changing memory limits to speed up lsoda

Setzer.Woodrow@epamail.epa.gov Setzer.Woodrow at epamail.epa.gov
Wed Oct 26 17:03:24 CEST 2005

Hank,
I don't understand why you think memory is the problem, here.  I'd try
writing my model in C or Fortran (there is an example in the odesolve
package).  That speeds things up a lot, and is what I do with slow
systems.
R. Woodrow Setzer, Jr.
National Center for Computational Toxicology
US Environmental Protection Agency
Mail Drop B205-01/US EPA/RTP, NC 27711
Ph: (919) 541-0128    Fax: (919) 541-1194

             "Martin Henry H.
             Stevens"
             <HStevens at muohio                                        To
             .edu>                    Woodrow Setzer/RTP/USEPA/US at EPA
                                                                     cc
             10/26/2005 10:45
             AM                                                 Subject
                                      changing memory limits to speed
                                      up lsoda

Hi Woody,
I sent this to r-help as well. Thanks in advance for any input.

I am running R 2.2.0 on Mac OS 10.4.2, dual G5 processors with 8 Gig
RAM.
I am running a simulation with lsoda that requires ~378 s to complete
one set of time intervals. I need to optimize the parameters, and so
need to considerably speed up the simulation.
I have tried to figure out how to change the appropriate memory
allocation and have search R help and Introductory information and
the archives, but connot figure out how to allocate more to the right
place.
I would greatly appreciate any pointers or tips or leads.

Thank you,
Hank Stevens

Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056