[R] LaTex error when creating DVI version when compiling package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Oct 29 10:45:44 CEST 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:

> Dear Listers,
>
> I got this message when compiling a package:
>
> * creating pgirmess-manual.tex ... OK
> * checking pgirmess-manual.text ... ERROR
> LaTex errors when creating DVI version.
> This typically indicates Rd problems.
>
> The message is quite explicit but I struggled a lot before understanding
> that the trouble comes from a single file "selMod.rd" among 44 topics.
> Even though I have checked it ten times and even rewrite it on
> prompt(selMod), I cannot find out what is wrong with it.
>
> Can somebody used with LaTex and the format of R *.rd file have a quick
> look to the attached contents and tell me if he can detect some obvious
> faulty writing?

The general answer is to look through the (often very long) *.log file in
the *.Rcheck directory until you find the problem. That will typically
give you a line number in the *.tex file, which shows not only where the
error occurred, but the *.log file entry often shows what it is. My
typical errors are using LaTeX special symbols, and most often having
unprotected $ and _. I see quite a lot of _ below in \value{}, so I'd try
\_ there first.

Roger