[R] Help with Subtracting an effect from a Mixed Model

Matthew Forister forister at life.bio.sunysb.edu
Sun Oct 30 17:02:31 CET 2005

Hi Everyone,

I posted a similar question about a week ago, but haven't gotten any
replies -- I'm afraid that's because my previous question was too
vague.  Let me try again with a more specific question, and I hope
someone can help.  NOTE, I know I should be using the newer lme4
package, I just haven't had a chance to update my version of R yet, so
the question below relates to nmle.

I have data from a classical quantitative genetics experiment, with 33
sires mated each to 2 dams, with 15 progeny from each dam raised on 5
host plants (3 larvae per host).  So the model I would like to run has
the following factors:
Host (fixed)
Sire (random)
Dam [nested within sire] (random)
Host * Sire (random interaction)
Host * Dam [nested within sire] (random interaction)

This is the code I am using for that complete model:
lme1=lme(gain~host,random=~host|sire/dam)
I would like to try the model with and without each of those random
interactions (host*sire and host*dam-nested-within-sire).

WHAT IS THE SYNTAX FOR SUBTRACTING AN EFFECT FROM THE RANDOM STATEMENT?
I have tried:
lme1=lme(gain~host,random=~host|sire/dam-sire:host)
But I get an "Invalid formula for groups" error.
Alternatively, I tried reorganizing the code, so that the interaction
would be left out.  But there is no way to take out host*sire while
still leaving in host*dam nested within sire.

any help will be greatly appreciated!
Matt

- - -
Matthew L Forister