[R] significant test

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 31 13:45:10 CET 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Romain Francois wrote:

> Le 31.10.2005 11:22, Robert a écrit :
>
>> I have two groups of data and want to test how the
>> mean of one group is significant different from the
>> mean of the other group of data.
>> which R function can be used?
>> Thanks.
>
> t.test if you assume normality
> wilcox.test otherwise

Sorry, no.  The Wilcoxon test does NOT test a difference in means: its
null hypothesis is that the two samples came from the same continuous
distribution, a much narrower assumption.  (It is sensitive to differences
in variances, for example, and is probably closer to testing a difference
in medians than means where the shapes of the two samples differ)

The Welch two-sample t-test does test exactly the null hypothesis stated
under normality, and it is pretty insensitive to quite large departures
from normality.  It is unlikely (but possible) that means are of primary
interest in very-non-normal distributions.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk