[R] png scaling problem

Knut Krueger admin at biostatistic.de
Fri Sep 2 07:10:38 CEST 2005

>Probably a better first question is, why are you using a bitmapped
>graphics format if you need the image to be re-scaled?

I need a 1000 dpi tif file in a size of appr. 10 to 10 cm for applied
animal behaviour science:
http://authors.elsevier.com/GuideForAuthors.html?PubID=503301&dc=GFA

images to one of the following formats (Note the resolution requirements
for line drawings, halftones, and
line/halftone combinations given below.):
EPS: Vector drawings. Embed the font or save the text as "graphics".
TIFF: Colour or greyscale photographs (halftones): always use a minimum
of 300 dpi.
TIFF: Bitmapped line drawings: use a minimum of 1000 dpi.
TIFF: Combinations bitmapped line/half-tone (colour or greyscale): a
minimum of 500 dpi is required.
DOC, XLS or PPT: If your electronic artwork is created in any of these
Microsoft Office applications please
supply "as is".

I tired the Postscript file but the file is double heigh as width i do
not know why.
The problem was already discussed in the tread: [R] High resolution plots

I have to send the images possibly yesterday and I am looking fo a
suitable solution since two months now.
I tired gsview with converting to all possible Tiff formats but the
images appear not in color and in a strange black and white way
Some readers are able to read it  (Windows Image view) other not and I
do not know which reader the journal will use :-(
And the ylab is too small ...

http://biostatistic.de/temp/1.tif
http://biostatistic.de/temp/2.tif
http://biostatistic.de/temp/3.tif
http://biostatistic.de/temp/4.tif

>In general,
>bitmapped graphics do not resize well, though if you have a specific
>need and know a target image size, you can adjust various parameters to
>look decent. Are you going to view these images in a web browser, where
>you are concerned with display size and resolution?
>
>>From your e-mail headers it appears you are on Windows. If you need a
>re-sizable graphic, use a vector based format such as wmf/emf,
>especially if you need the graphics embedded in a Windows application
>such as Word or Powerpoint. This is the default format under Windows
>when copying and pasting a graphic between applications. You can then,
>fairly freely, resize the image in the target application as you may
>require.
>
>If you are going to print the graphic directly or include it in a
>document for printing (as opposed to just viewing it), then use PDF or
>Postscript.

Ok there is a second description for the file format :-(
http://authors.elsevier.com/ArtworkInstructions.html?dc=AI2
there are pdf formats welcome but with defined conditions:

Maybe anybody could give me a hint to get the files in the recommendet
format.
I will ask them immediately which whether the pdf is allowed or not,
becaus they have two different instruction sites :-(

Regards Knut