[R] source package linking problem under linux

Christian T. Steigies cts at debian.org
Fri Sep 2 20:20:09 CEST 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 05:33:46PM +0000, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Antonio, Fabio Di Narzo <antonio.fabio <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > I'm using ubuntu 5.04 (debian based), and installed precompiled binary
> > version of R from an italian cran mirror ('woody' subdirectory).
> >
> > Another package with the *same* problem: bayesm. Maybe the problem is
> > that ther's c++ code? What should I do?
>
> Install the pre-compiled MCMCpack which Debian calls r-cran-mcmcpack?

Dirk knows this much better than me, but if there is a problem with the
package, it might be my fault, in case you installed a backport. I just
tried to build the package in the woody chroot where I built the backports:

configure: WARNING: Only g++ version 3.0 or greater can be used with MCMCpack.

Maybe that is the problem? In woody the gcc version is 2.95, so the
precompiled binaries you are using were built with this gcc version. Ubuntu
5.04 might use a newer gcc, perhaps you can not mix and match those? If this
is the case, the sarge backports might work better for you. On my sarge box
install.packages("MCMCpack") works just fine when I install.packages("coda")
first. I don't have an ubuntu 5.04 box around, I wonder if I could install
it in a chroot as well. For you it might work if you rebuild R from source,
sources for the backports should be on the cran mirror as well.

Christian