[R] setting par() for individual leaves/twigs/labels in plot.dendrogram

Walton A. Green walton.green at yale.edu
Fri Sep 2 21:02:27 CEST 2005

R-helpers,

I seem to remember a discussion in r-help a while ago about plotting the
individual leaves of a dendrogram in different colors, but I can't
find the discussion in the archives or figure out how to do it. For my
purposes, it doesn't really matter whether its the terminal points
(leaves) or the terminal edges (twigs) or, for that matter, the labels
that can be colored, but I would like to do the equivalent in
plot.dendrogram of the bivariate:

plot(1:10, col = c(1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3))

but with the colors applied to the leaves (or twigs or leaf labels). The
edgePar, nodePar, label, and col arguments don't seem to do it. Am I
missing something in the documentation, or is there a function in a
package that I don't know about? Or a workaround? Or is this just not
implemented?

Walton Green