[R] Question regarding lmer with binary response

Bernd Weiss bernd.weiss at uni-koeln.de
Sun Sep 4 18:58:30 CEST 2005

Dear all, dear Prof. Bates,

my dependent variable (school absenteeism, truancy[1]) is a binary
response for which I am trying to compute an unconditional mixed
effects model. I've got observations (monday, wednesday and friday)
nested in individuals (ID2), which were nested in classes (KID2) and
schools (SID), i.e. a 4-level mixed effects model.

In short, I was trying without success. I got no sensible results
using lmer as well as using glmmPQL. I played around with the control
parameters and the methods (PQl, Laplace) in lmer without any effect.

I would really appreciate if someone could have a look into my data
and tell me what's going wrong here.

My R script and data can be found at:

http://www.metaanalyse.de/tmp/rhelp.R
http://www.metaanalyse.de/tmp/rhelp.txt