[R] survey weights

A Das kerbo2004 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 4 19:29:10 CEST 2005

Thanks, Thomas.
    Yes, that's exactly what happened: the warnings
came first after "data(China)", and then after
"dchina<-svydesign..." So the design object isn't
being produced? The dataset is very large, and the
weights were already set in Stata before importing.
Would either of those cause problems?
                           -Bobby

--- Thomas Lumley <tlumley at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, A Das wrote:
>
> > Hi all, I've been trying to get a large (12mb)
> Stata
> > survey database into R. I managed that, but when I
> > attach survey weights, something goes wrong. The
> error
> > message is: object dchina not found. Here's the
> > script:
>
> If that is the *first* message then something
> extremly strange is
> happening
>
> > library(car)
> > library(foreign)
> > library(survey)
> >
> > China <- read.dta("C:/final07c2.dta")
> > attach(China)
>
> This attach() isn't necessary or helpful
>
> > data(China)
> You should get a warning here
>
> Warning message:
> data set 'China' not found in: data(China)
>
> since China isn't one of the built-in data sets. If
> you don't get this
> message it suggests that you do have a built-in
> dataset called China,
> which will have overwritten your file.

dchina<-svydesign(id=~psu,strata=~strata,weights=~weight0x,