[R] bivirate k-function

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Sep 5 22:06:34 CEST 2005

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005, Michael Holm wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there anyone who can help a reporter (me) with the following:
>

> I want to use the bivirate k-function to determin if burgerbars are
> clustered around schools.
>
> To that purpose I’ve been told to use the bivirate k-function, but my
> program Arcview doesn’t contain that.
>
> Im stuck on a dead end – how to I for a start get the data into R?

The file format prefered by ArcView for point data is shapefile - see
packages maptools or shapefiles on CRAN. Bivariate K-hat functions are
available in splancs (k12hat), or in spatstat (Kcross and Kdot). A direct
reference to the splancs functions is given by Bailey and Gatrell (1995)
Interactive Spatial Data Analysis, Ch. 4. Spatstat is described clearly
in:

http://www.jstatsoft.org/counter.php?id=113&url=v12/i06/v12i06.pdf&ct=1

You may need to import a bounding polygon too.

Please feel free to follow this up on the R-sig-geo list, access easiest
from the CRAN "Spatial" task view:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/Spatial.html

(Note though, that schools may be close to other confounding locations
attracting burger-vores, so you may need a school just by itself to draw
any sensible conclusions)

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no