[R] TeX distribution on Windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 6 00:55:26 CEST 2005

Göran Broström wrote:
> I'm looking for a Windows distribution of TeX that works with  R, after a
> few years' absence from Windows. On Duncan Murdoch's Rtools page fptex is
> still recommended, but it turns out that fptex is "defunct" as of May 2005,
> see
>
> http://www.metz.supelec.fr/~popineau/xemtex-7.html
>
> So, what is suggested? TUG (tug.org) recommends something called proTeXt,
> which is said to be "based on MiKTeX", for Windows users. Since MikTeX
> could be used with  R, that sounds like a good alternative.

I use MikTeX, with one or another of the workarounds listed on my page.
   I've never tried proTeXt; I did a little googling, but I still don't
see the point of it exactly.

fptex is still available in various repositories, and is likely to keep
working for quite a long time:  R doesn't demand the latest and greatest
innovations from TeX/eTeX.

Duncan Murdoch