[R] Plot of multiple data sets

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Sep 7 17:21:58 CEST 2005

Hi

what is wrong with matplot

sines <- outer(1:20, 1:4, function(x, y) sin(x / 20 * pi * y))
matplot(sines, pch = 1:4, type = "o", col = rainbow(ncol(sines)))

so you can use aditional parameters to exactly specify what type of
point and/or line and in what colour you will plot.

Or with plot/points construction you can adapt xlim and ylim
setting to suite the whole plotting range e.g..

ddd<-dim(sines)[1] # length of x axis

plot(1:ddd,rep(1,ddd), type="n", ylim=range(sines)) # y in propper
range

for (i in 1:4) points(1:ddd,sines[,i], pch = i, type = "b", col =
rainbow(ncol(sines))[i]) # 4 columns plotted

If you want do more complicated things you usually has to use
more complicated constructions.

BTW

help.search("plot column") goes stright to matplot and from its
help page you could learn how to use it.

HTH
Petr