[R] Debugging R/Fortran in Windows

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU
Fri Sep 9 07:55:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to debug an R interface to a Fortran subroutine from Windows.
(Yes, I know I should try Unix/Linux as well, but a quick attempt
suggested that the (MinGW g77) Fortran compiler I have installed on my
Windows laptop works better on this Fortran code.)

I'm trying to follow the instructions in the "Writing R Extensions" Manual:

Start R under the debugger after setting a breakpoint for WinMain.
          gdb .../bin/Rgui.exe
          (gdb) break WinMain
          (gdb) run

But when I run gdb on Rgui.exe, I get the message:
"no debugging symbols found"
and then when I try "break WinMain", I get:
"No symbol table is loaded.  use the 'file' command."

I'm using R 2.1.1 on Windows 2000 and gdb 5.2.1 from MSys's MinGW.

I'm calling a Fortran function (several times) from R.  And I seem to have
the basic two-way data communication working - I appear to have
succesfully passed all required data types (integer, real, double
precision) to and from Fortran with sensible results both from within R
and from using WRITE(FILENUM,*) from within Fortran.  But unfortunately
there is still evidence of memory leakage.

Regards,
James