[R] Coefficients from LM

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Thu Sep 15 23:36:12 CEST 2005

Tsk, tsk.  You don't seem to be looking very hard.

Here's an example with a glm; lm() works the same way but has fewer internal
objects.

mod3 <- glm(tree ~ altitude, family = binomial)

You can use names() to find out what's inside:

> names(mod3)
 [1] "coefficients"      "residuals"         "fitted.values"     "effects"
"R"
 [6] "rank"              "qr"                "family"
"linear.predictors" "deviance"
[11] "aic"               "null.deviance"     "iter"              "weights"
"prior.weights"
[16] "df.residual"       "df.null"           "y"                 "converged"
"boundary"
[21] "model"             "call"              "formula"           "terms"
"data"
[26] "offset"            "control"           "method"            "contrasts"
"xlevels"

There are lots of ways to retrieve the parameter estimates:

> coefficients(mod3)
(Intercept)    altitude
13.43360163 -0.01220884

> mod3$coeff
(Intercept)    altitude
13.43360163 -0.01220884

> mod3$coef[2]
   altitude
-0.01220884

> as.numeric(mod3$coef[2])
[1] -0.01220884

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com