[R] Question:manipulating spatial data using combination of Maptools and Splancs

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Sep 17 10:06:07 CEST 2005

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005, kostas karis wrote:

> Thank you for your advice but i still have a problem...Everything goes fine
> till the plotting (as usual).When i try the code you posted for the
> conversion i get the following message:
>
> Error in coordinates(quakes) : no direct or inherited method for function
> 'coordinates' for this call
>
> i don't have a clue what this means...

Please always include the commands you gave, here in particular the
command(s) creating the quakes object - other list participants cannot see
your computer screen. All the error message says is that it is not a
SpatialPoints* object, so you have not done:

> quakes <- readShapePoints("quakes.shp")
> quakes_pts <- coordinates(quakes)

as I suggested. I also suggest moving this thread to the R-sig-geo list -
subscription details on the "Spatial" Task View on CRAN:

http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/Spatial.html

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no