[R] dynamic object names?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Sep 19 11:38:02 CEST 2005

samir at guidi.ch wrote:

> I am trying to extract data from a matrix. Let's say that i am interested in
> extracting
> rows from a 4x4 matrix. Instead of giving a fix name to these 4 rows I would
> like to add a number to prefix. As result I should get 4 objects named:
>
> prefix_1
> prefix_2
> prefix_3
> prefix_4
>
> I attepted to solve the problem with a loop, but without success. Any hints??

1. In fact, you do not really want it.
2. You want to use "<-" rather than "->" for assigments. Reading your
code is really hard when you are using this non-conventional way.
3. In order to answer your question: This is the FAQ "How can I turn a
string into a variable?". The posting guide asks you to read these FAQs
before sending questions to R-help. Please do so.

Uwe Ligges