[R] Questions about R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Sep 22 08:54:13 CEST 2005

Thank you for your detailed description. Please look at what:

> capabilities()
    jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
  cledit  IEEE754    iconv
    TRUE     TRUE     TRUE

says on your installation. If X11 is FALSE, then you need to be sure that
your system has X11 development libraries installed - with X11 FALSE,
graphics to screen will fail. At the Linux shell prompt (on RedHat EL3,
but also using rpm packages), I see

$ rpm -qa X*devel*
XFree86-devel-4.3.0-95.EL

Your development package may be called something else, but I think that
the development package appropriate for your X11 installation is what you
are missing.