[R] FW: FDR analyses: minimum number of features

Dupont, William william.dupont at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu Sep 22 15:01:01 CEST 2005

Dear Dr.  Graves

Many thanks for your response.  FDRs and their associated q values do
differ from Type I error rates and P values (See Storey and Tibshirani
PNAS 2003;100:9440-5).  It is an approach that is rapidly gaining
popularity in the analysis of genomic data where we have massive numbers
of covariates measured on a comparatively modest number of subjects.  To
my mind it is a real advance in dealing with the extreme multiple
comparisons problems that afflict such data.  Unfortunately, it is still
a relatively new technique and I do not believe that a consensus as to
the number of needed response features has been reached.

Submitting my question to the R-help list was a long shot, although
Storey's software for this methodology is written in R.

With best wishes,

Bill Dupont