[R] Automatic creation of file names

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Sep 22 16:38:07 CEST 2005

> From: Leite,Walter
>
> Dear R-Help members,
>

> I have a question about how to save to the hard drive the one thousand
> datasets I generated in a simulation. The datasets are created in a
> "for" loop that repeatedly creates normally distributed datasets, such
> as the example below:
> Library(MASS)
> for (number in 1:1000) {
>
> dataset = mvrnorm(n = 400, mu = c(0,0,0),
> 	Sigma = matrix(c(1,0.3,0.3,0.3,1,0.3,0.3,0.3,1),3,3))
> }
>
> I don't know how to write the datasets with different names
> to the hard
> drive. I have solved the problem before by creating a list of names
> (file1.txt, file2.txt,file3.txt, etc...) in Microsoft Excel,
> reading it
> to R with read.table, and using write.table to write each
> file with the
> name I created in Excel.
> I want to know if it is possible to create a list of file names
> automatically within R to save the datasets created in my simulation.
> Thank you for your help,
>
> Walter L. Leite

If the total size of all the data isn't too large, that you can load all of
them into memory without problem, I'd suggest that you put them into a list
and just save the list.

If you really only want to use one of the datasets at a time, just insert
something like the following into the loop:

save(dataset, file=paste("data", number, ".rda", sep=""), compress=TRUE)

HTH,
Andy