[R] FDR analyses: minimum number of features

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Sep 23 04:01:17 CEST 2005

	  Have you considered Monte Carlo?  From previous work, you could
estimate a distribution for the differences to be detected and use that
as input to a Monte Carlo, computing thereby a distribution for FDR as a
function of distribution of differences and the number of features.
 From this, you could estimate probabilities for obtaining results that
were bogus vs. marginal, barely useful vs. highly accurate and plot them
vs. alternative budgets, etc.

	  I hope this comment makes more sense than my earlier nonsense.

	  spencer graves

Dupont, William wrote:
> I agree.  What is unclear to me is the optimal way of justifying sample
> size and SNP selection in grant applications that use the FDR approach.

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer
PDF Solutions, Inc.
333 West San Carlos Street Suite 700