[R] getting variable length numerical gradient

Dimitris Rizopoulos dimitris.rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be
Mon Sep 26 16:16:51 CEST 2005

Randall,

thanks for your comments; however, you have to take into account what
is the purpose of the function here! The goal is to approximate
*partial* derivatives numerically, using in fact the definition of the
partial derivatives. If you recall this definition I hope that you can
see why I change the ith element of the x vector and not the whole
one. You could also test your approach with the original one in the
logistic regression example and see the difference.

I hope it is more clear now.

Best,
Dimitris

----
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Ph.D. Student
Biostatistical Centre
School of Public Health
Catholic University of Leuven

Address: Kapucijnenvoer 35, Leuven, Belgium
Tel: +32/(0)16/336899
Fax: +32/(0)16/337015
Web: http://www.med.kuleuven.be/biostat/
     http://www.student.kuleuven.be/~m0390867/dimitris.htm