[R] About Coda Package

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Tue Sep 27 11:35:29 CEST 2005

Dear Juan Pablo,

It is best to send package-specific queries the package maintainer (me
in this case) which you can find out by typeing "library(help=coda)"

The inconsistency comes from two different ways of estimating the
spectral density at frequency 0: spectrum0() adapted from Heidelberger &
Welch, fits a generalized linear model to the periodogram. This function
is called by the effectiveSize() function.  Unfortunately it crashes
when there is very high autocorrelation.  The alternative function
spectrum0.ar does the same thing by fitting an autoregressive model to
the data, and won't crash even on highly autocorrelated data. The latter
function is called by codamenu().

The two functions are giving different results here, but to be honest,
an effective sample size of 370 isn't sufficient for serious inference
from an MCMC sample either.   I can only reiterate the advice given by
the warning message.

Martyn