[R] Error in "make check-all"

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Sep 28 12:06:21 CEST 2005

Fernando Mayer <fernandomayer at gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Prof. Ripley, that was exactly what i did. Should i login on the
> system as root, instead of login as user and became root via console?
> What should i do to have X11 usable?

I don't actually think that this is the problem. You shouldn't
generally trust me rather than Brian, but I'm sitting at a SUSE 9.3
system, and he's not... If I "su -" to root, I can happily run "xterm"
etc. from the root shell with display on the console, and also run
make check on the current r-devel. So go look for missing RPM
packages.

That said, it is not generally a good idea to build as root. I prefer
to build things as myself and only do the final install step as root
if necessary.

        -pd

(PS: I had a powercut when I was either 99.99% or 100.01% done with
writing this before. Apologies if it went out twice...)