[R] p-level in packages mgcv and gam

Henric Nilsson henric.nilsson at statisticon.se
Thu Sep 29 09:55:19 CEST 2005

Yves Magliulo said the following on 2005-09-28 17:05:
> hi,
>
> i'll try to help you, i send a mail about this subject last week... and
> i did not have any response...
>
> I'm using gam from package mgcv.
>
> 1)
> How to interpret the significance of smooth terms is hard for me to
> understand perfectly :
> using UBRE, you fix df. p-value are estimated by chi-sq distribution
> using GCV, the best df are estimated by GAM. (that's what i want) and
> p-values

This is not correct. The df are estimated in both cases (i.e. UBRE and
GCV), but the scale parameter is fixed in the UBRE case. Hence, by
default UBRE is used for family = binomial or poisson since the scale
parameter is assumed to be 1. Similarly, GCV is the default for family =
gaussian since we most often want the scale (usually denoted sigma^2) to
be estimated.

> are estimated by an F distribution But in that case they said "use at
> your own risk" in ?summary.gam

The warning applies in both cases. The p-values are conditional on the
smoothing parameters, and the uncertainty of the smooths is not taken
into account when computing the p-values.

> so you can also look at the chi.sq : but i don't know how to choose a

No...

> criterion like for p-values... for me, chi.sq show the best predictor in
> a model, but it's hard to reject one with it.

Which version of mgcv do you use? The confusion probably stems from
earlier versions of mgcv (< 1.3-5): the summary and anova methods used
to have a column denoted Chi.sq even when the displayed statistic was
computed as F. Recent versions of mgcv has

 > summary(b)

Family: gaussian
Link function: identity

Formula:
y ~ s(x0) + s(x1) + s(x2) + s(x3)

Parametric coefficients:
             Estimate Std. Error t value Pr(>|t|)
(Intercept)   7.9150     0.1049   75.44   <2e-16 ***
---
Signif. codes:  0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.' 0.1 ' ' 1

Approximate significance of smooth terms:
         edf Est.rank      F  p-value
s(x0) 5.173    9.000  3.785 0.000137 ***
s(x1) 2.357    9.000 34.631  < 2e-16 ***
s(x2) 8.517    9.000 84.694  < 2e-16 ***
s(x3) 1.000    1.000  0.444 0.505797
---
Signif. codes:  0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.' 0.1 ' ' 1

R-sq.(adj) =  0.726   Deviance explained = 73.7%
GCV score =  4.611   Scale est. = 4.4029    n = 400

If we assume that the scale is known and fixed at 4.4029, we get

 > summary(b, dispersion = 4.4029)

Family: gaussian
Link function: identity

Formula:
y ~ s(x0) + s(x1) + s(x2) + s(x3)

Parametric coefficients:
             Estimate Std. Error z value Pr(>|z|)
(Intercept)   7.9150     0.1049   75.44   <2e-16 ***
---
Signif. codes:  0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.' 0.1 ' ' 1

Approximate significance of smooth terms:
         edf Est.rank  Chi.sq p-value
s(x0) 5.173    9.000  34.067 8.7e-05 ***
s(x1) 2.357    9.000 311.679 < 2e-16 ***
s(x2) 8.517    9.000 762.255 < 2e-16 ***
s(x3) 1.000    1.000   0.444   0.505
---
Signif. codes:  0 '***' 0.001 '**' 0.01 '*' 0.05 '.' 0.1 ' ' 1

R-sq.(adj) =  0.726   Deviance explained = 73.7%
GCV score =  4.611   Scale est. = 4.4029    n = 400

Note that t/F changed into z/Chi.sq.

> so as far as i m concerned, i use GCV methods, and fix a 5% on the null
> hypothesis (pvalue) to select significant predictor. after, i look at my
> smooth, and if the parametrization look fine to me, i validate.
>
> generaly, for p-values smaller than 0.001, you can be confident. over
> 0.001, you have to check.
>
> 2)
> for difference between package gam and mgcv, i sent a mail about this

The underlying algorithms are very different.

HTH,
Henric