[R] R-help Digest, Vol 31, Issue 30

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Fri Sep 30 13:50:48 CEST 2005

With lme4, use of mcmcsamp can be insightful.  (Douglas Bates
drew my attention to this function in a private exchange of emails.)
The distributions of random effects are simulated on a log scale,
where the distributions are much closer to symmetry than on the
scale of the random effects themselves.  As far as I can see, this is
a straightforward use of MCMC to estimate model parameters; it is
not clear to me the results from the lmer() fit are used.
John Maindonald.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Bioinformation Science, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.