[R] Maps of Canada and some (very) simple instructions

Gregory Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Mon Apr 3 23:41:53 CEST 2006

I found a shapefile for a map of Canada at:
http://www.vdstech.com/map_data.htm you can read this in and plot it
using the maptools package (or the sp package and friends if you want
more control):

> library(maptools)
> tmp <- read.shape('c:/maps/canada')
> tmp2 <- Map2poly(tmp)
> plot(tmp2)

For adding information to the map there are some examples in the
maptools and sp packages, also look at the help files for symbols as
well as state.vbm and subplot in the TeachingDemos package.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center