[R] Problems in package management after Linux system upgrade

José Matos jaomatos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 11:14:43 CEST 2006

On 05/04/06, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

  Hi Paul,

> I upgraded from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5 and I find a lot of
> previously installed packages won't run because shared libraries or
> other system things have changed "out from under" the installed R
> libraries.  I do not know for sure if the R version now from
> Fedora-Extras (2.2.1) is exactly the same one I was using in FC4.

  It is. I expect also that as soon as 2.3.0 is released it will
become available for FC-4, Fc-5 and devel.

> I see problems in many packages. Example, Hmisc:
>         unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/Hmisc/libs/Hmisc.so':
>   libgfortran.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Error in library(Hmisc) : .First.lib failed for 'Hmisc'

  To avoid this problem I am submiting R pakages to Extras. I maintain
some and I intend to submit more, I have posted here a python script
to convert an R package into a src.rpm that follows Extras packaging
policy.

  All help is welcome. :-)

> --
> Paul E. Johnson