[R] fdim package questions

James R. Milks james.milks at wright.edu
Fri Apr 7 15:16:35 CEST 2006

I have a basic question on the mechanics of fdim.  I am calculating
the information dimension of tree distributions.  What I have are
positions of trees within a plot (x data in one column, y data in
another).  My question is this: how does fdim combine the data from
both columns to calculate the fractal dimension?  Does it create an
internal image of the points?  I know it's basic, but I'm used to
calculating dimensions of images, not datasets.  I'm just a little
skeptical of how the information dimension can be calculated from
datasets instead of images.

I've already attempted to send this e-mail to the package authors,
but the e-mail addresses within the package no longer work.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jim Milks

Graduate Student