[R] [Q] Format of a plot axis label

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Apr 7 17:34:12 CEST 2006

Do you mean the axis tick annotations, the xlab, the ylab or what? (It is
the xlab and ylab that are quite explicitly called 'axis label' in the
documentation.)

If you mean the axis tick annotations, please show us an example where R
uses an unnecessary (in your view) '.0'.  The internal code uses the same
algorithm as print.default(), and so will use the same number of decimal
places for all the annotations on one (non-log-scale) axis.

R is very programmable, and you can use par(xaxt="n") followed by a call
to axis(1) specifying at= and label= to get precisely what you want for
the x axis (amend in the obvious way for the y axis).