[R] Changing character limit in deparse, as.character and toString

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 09:11:40 CEST 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Dave Armstrong wrote:

> Dear R-help Listers,
>
> I am curious if there is some (hopefully easy) way to change the number of
> characters that can be converted to a single string via any of deparse,
> as.character or toString.   It seems that the limit is 500 for all of
> these.

None of those functions convert 'characters' to a single string!
What actually are you trying to convert?

I guess the issue is the maximum line length in deparsing.  You can
almost always just paste multiple lines together, and this is done for
formulae at several places in the R codebase.

> I saw a previous post where Prof. Ripley suggested that it was a
> "trivial" change in the R internals to change as.character's limit from 60
> to 500, but I was hoping for something that didn't involve me trying to
> alter the R internals.

Please show respect other people's copyright, and quote exactly with a
reference or not at all.  (I was unable to find what you are non-quoting,
and don't even know if it is still relevant.)