[R] long caption titles for tables

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Tue Apr 11 15:15:55 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 07:54 -0500, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:
> Brian Quinif wrote:
> > I am using using the latex() function in the Hmisc package.  I want to
> > create some table captions that are relatively long and need to take
> > up more than one line.
> >
> > When I do this, the LaTeX output has the majority of the text on one
> > line with the remainder spilling over into the second line as if it
> > were a normal sentence.
>
> That is standard typography.
>
> Frank
>

> > How can I get a long caption such as "Estimated HOPE Effects on
> > Typical First-Year Students, 1990/1995 Robust Std. Errors in
> > Parentheses" to appear as
> >
> > Estimated HOPE Effects on
> > Typical First-Year Students, 1990/1995
> > Robust Std. Errors in Parentheses
> >
> > where that would be centered above the table?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > BQ

Just a quick follow up to Frank's comment, which is that you might want
to consider using the 'caption' package, which provides for much greater
control over the formatting of captions, including centering, local
margins, indentation, etc.

More information is here:

  http://www.ctan.org/info?id=caption

HTH,