[R] type II and III Sum square whit empty cells

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Apr 11 19:31:05 CEST 2006

Dear Mario,

When there are empty cells, some of the usual contrasts defining
interactions (and possibly even main effects) can't be estimated, and one
should be especially careful about what hypotheses are being tested. There's
a good introduction to these problems (in my opinion) by Searle, Speed, and
Henderson in The American Statistician, Vol. 35, No. 1. (Feb., 1981), pp.
16-33. The issues are sufficiently complex that I thought it inadvisable to
provide an automatic solution.

For the data pattern that you give, you could test the hypothesis of no
interaction via anova(lm(y ~ a + b), lm(y ~ a*b)). If the interaction seems
negligible, you could test the main effects via Anova(lm(y ~ a + b),
error=lm(y ~ a*b)).

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox