[R] using GDD fonts

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Wed Apr 12 21:55:32 CEST 2006

Luiz Rodrigo Tozzi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was searching for some X replacement for my job in R and i found the GDD
>
> I installed it and I match all the system requirements. My problem
> (maybe a dumb one) is that every plot comes with no font and i cant
> find a simgle example of a plot WITH FONT DETAIL in the list
>
> can anybody help me?
>
> a simple example:
>
> library(GDD)
> GDD("something.png", type="png", width = 700, height = 500)
> par(cex.axis=0.65,lab=c(12,12,0),mar=c(2.5, 2.5, 2.5, 2.5))
> plot(rnorm(100))
> mtext("Something",side=3,padj=-0.33,cex=1)
> dev.off()
>
> thanks in advance!

This might help - we found that we needed to install the MS TT fonts and
make sure that GDD can find them, as per the README. :

Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:
> Tim,
>
> On Jun 9, 2005, at 3:51 AM, Tim CHURCHES wrote:
>
>> I tried GDD 0.1-7 with Lattice graphs in R 2.1.0 (on Linux). It
>> doesn't segfault now but it is still not producing any usable output
>> - the output png file is produced but nly with a few lines on it.
>> Still the alpha channel problem? Have you been able to produce any
>> Lattice graphs with it?
>
> I know of no such problem, I tested a few lattice graphics and they
> worked. Can you, please, send me reproducible example and your output?
> Also send me, please output of
> library(GDD)
> .Call("gdd_look_up_font", NULL)

Sorry, my laziness. GDD was unable to find any fonts. After I installed
the MS TT fonts and set their location as per the GDD README, it worked
perfectly with both old-style R graphics and lattice graphics. The
output looks very nice indeed. We'll do a bit more testing (and let you
know if we find any problems), but it looks like we can at last drop the
requirement for Xvfb when using R in a Web application. Great work! From
our point of view, GDD solves one the biggest problem with R for Web
applications.

Cheers,

Tim C