[R] What does "rbind(iris[,,1], iris[,,2], iris[,,3])" do?

Sasha Pustota popgen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 18:21:22 CEST 2006

Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> 'iris' in S-PLUS is not the same as 'iris' in R, rather similar to 'iris3'
> in R.

Thank you! This answered all my questions.

> You need the fourth (2002) edition of the book to work with R.
>
> The book does say in many places (including its title) it is about
> 'S-PLUS', but does have on-line complements about the changes needed for R
> of a similar vintage (last updated Dec 2001).
>
> You are trying to use a book written in 1998 on a different system in
> 2006, and you have the audacity to accuse the authors of making errors
> because it does not work.  I look forwards to receiving your apology.

I apologize for supposing that iris is the same in R and Splus (I did
check the index of the book for "iris" but I should have looked
elsewhere) as well as for supposing that the omission of [1:4] was
"probably a typo". My intention was to get help with understanding and
not for a moment was I thinking of accusing the authors of anything.