[R] editor for Ubuntu

Ramón Casero Cañas 8-T at gmx.net
Fri Apr 14 19:02:04 CEST 2006

camille wrote:

> I am new on Ubuntu. I would like to use R, but I tried Kate and Scite.
> The first one keeps trying to use KDE applications,while the other does
> not understand the language. I have searched for another editor for
> hours, in vain. Which editor should work with Ubuntu?

I use emacs (which is a general purpose editor and much more) and ess
(Emacs statistics mode, supporting R,S and others).

To install ess in ubuntu do

$ sudo apt-get install ess

There's a bit of a learning curve to emacs, but it's a good tool,
especially if you are writing documents in LaTex too.

--
Ramón Casero Cañas

http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~rcasero/wiki
http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/~rcasero/blog