[R] Specifying an appropriate error term in a hierarchical regression

Chris Bergstresser chris at subtlety.com
Mon Apr 17 23:25:05 CEST 2006

Hi all --

   So I obtained a copy of _Statistical Models in S_, which I hoped
would answer my question, but it doesn't quite.  On page 151, it
discusses nested terms, which is what I'm working with.  So I tried
using "value ~ a/b" which apparently should fit factor b within factor
a.  But the summary is the exact same summary that "value ~ a + b" and
"value ~ a * b" produces, which doesn't seem right.  And the F value
reported for A is wrong; it should compare the mean square of A with
the mean square of B(A), not the residual mean square as it does.
   What am I doing wrong?