[R] R and ViM

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 18 18:24:25 CEST 2006

On 18-Apr-06 Sundar Dorai-Raj wrote:
> Michael Graber wrote:
>> I'm starting to learn R, but I'm already programing for
>> a while, using ViM as editor. Therefore I'd like to be
>> able to use R together with ViM.
>> [...]
>
> Try RSiteSearch('vim editor') at the R prompt. I got 28 hits.
>
> HTH,
>
> --sundar

And, out of interest (being a vim addict), I did that, getting

  > RSiteSearch('vim editor')
  A search query has been submitted to http://search.r-project.org
  The results page should open in your browser shortly

which it duly did. However -- and this is what's interesting --
I entered the command in R running on my machine B, at which
I'm sitting.

This machine B is independently displaying the Firefox browser
running on Machine C (via X Windows; Linux on both machines).

And that's the browser where the search results appeared.

So R running on B can hijack Firefox on C. How does it know?

Hmmm ...
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 18-Apr-06                                       Time: 17:24:22