[R] R and ViM

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 18 18:52:44 CEST 2006

    Sundar> Michael Graber wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> I'm starting to learn R, but I'm already programing for a
    >> while, using ViM as editor. Therefore I'd like to be able
    >> to use R together with ViM.
    >>
    >> My question now is, whether there are already people out
    >> there knowing how to do this in a similar easy way as
    >> with Emacs, and if those would be willing to share this
    >> knowledge.  I did already research on the web on this
    >> topic, but i couldn't find satisfying answers, except one
    >> good looking approach on the ViM-website with a
    >> perl-script called funnel.pl, which I couldn't make
    >> running on my mac OSX 10.3.9 so far.
    >>
    >> I'd be grateful for help.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Michael Graber

    Sundar> Try RSiteSearch('vim editor') at the R prompt. I got
    Sundar> 28 hits.

yeah, sure. But did you look at them?
I only browsed them quickly, but many don't seem to be relevant,
and the few that *seemed* to be relevant, mentioned the Sciviews
web page on "Editors for R"
  http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/projects/Editors.html
and that has one line for 'vim' which gives a link that goes to
a "vimscript" page that gives the above mentioned 'funnel.pl' ..

So, I think Michael is still looking for more useful hints...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich