[R] creating empty cells with table()

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 15:52:59 CEST 2006

One can use the fact that converting a zoo object to a
ts object fills in the holes with NAs.

First create some test data, x, and create the table, tab.
Then create a zoo object and convert that to a ts object.
Now barplot the ts values using the times as names.

set.seed(1)
x <- rpois(20, 4) # test data

library(zoo)
tab <- table(x)
tt <- as.ts(zoo(as.vector(tab), as.numeric(names(tab))))
barplot(coredata(tt), names = time(tt))