[R] Missing p-values using lmer()

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Apr 20 19:56:51 CEST 2006

You didn't do anything wrong, lmer doesn't give them. And, for good reason. I've been a bit indoctrinated by D. Bates, so let me share what I've learned.

With simple analysis of variance models with simple error structures, it is known that the ratio of the variances follow and F distribution. However, with more complex error structures, the null distribution is unknown. Most other multilevel programs accept by analogy that the ratio of the variances do follow an F distribution. That is, it works well for the simple case, therefore it probably is also true for the more complex case.

In SAS, one can choose ddf options, such as Kenward-Roger, which hopes that after assuming the ratio of variances follow an F distribution, the only remaining challenge is to properly estimate the denominator degrees of freedom. These kinds of options do not currently exist in lmer and after many discussions on this list Doug Bates decided to remove the p-values for now.

This topic has been discussed often on this list and you can see other discussions on the archive which may be more insightful.

Harold