[R] Considering port of SAS application to R

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Fri Apr 21 13:21:04 CEST 2006

Please, read the R Data Import/Export manual provided with any version
of R, and come back with more specific questions.

In general, R cannot deal with datasets as large as those handled by
SAS. But this is true only when you use standard R functions, like
read.table(), which are not written to save memory and load very large
datasets (other aspects are optimized).

I would advise to put your data in a database and then access to it
piece-by-piece using SQL queries. There are very little cases where you
actually need the whole dataset in memory at once. A simple database
system, if you just need to access those data (no complex database
operations required) is SQLite. There is an R package to connect to such
a database without extra software needed. Thus, very convenient.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (