[R] R and ViM

Bill West wjwest at CLEMSON.EDU
Fri Apr 21 16:30:43 CEST 2006

Yes,  my  r.vim  ftplugin file is a windows only solution.  It is not yet at
the point, however, where it may be called a "solution". :)  It currently
only handles single lines of code.  I posted it before only as a proof of
concept.  I should have been clearer in my earier post.

For my Linux computer I have been successfully using the R.vim script by
Johannes Ranke found in the vim scripts:

This also uses Perl, but depends on IO::Pty, which (although I am no expert)
I do not believe is available for Windows.

--Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Jose Quesada
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:15 PM
To: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] R and ViM

To: Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>

> Indeed. Please do check the archives.

Yep. Post is there.

> Now back to the subject:  Jose, I think your main contribution is
> based on "autoHotKeys"  and that only works on Windoze, right?
> Michael explicitly mentioned he's working in Mac OS X.
>
> Martin

That's correct, autoHotKeys is a win-only solution.
Bill West's solution uses use Win32::OLE, so I guess that means it's
win-only solution.

I think  François Pinard's is the easiest since it uses vim and R only (no
3rd application/language requireed), and that would probably work in all
platforms (not sure if the "GNU readline" inferface is implemented in all
builds of R, though).

I find autoHotKey very useful (e.g., it fires vim to fill textboxes like
this one -gmail editing window-, offering syntax highlighting
etc) so I use it all the time and don't mind. I can understand those who
don't want to install it just to communicate R and an editor. In that case,
the other two solutions are better. I'll refer to them in my Rvim page
(archives).

However, the new R.vim syntax file has 3-level coloring, and I'm working to
get improved indentation, TODO, DEBUG, etc highlighting, and other
improvements. The code templates using tSkeleton (not ready
yet) may be an added advantage. Those two things you can use even if you
don't use autohotkeys of course.

--
Cheers,
-Jose

PS: it seems that google mail (as an email reader) doesn't let you see your
own messages when posting to a list you are subscribed to.

--
Jose Quesada, PhD.

j.quesada at sussex.ac.uk				Dept. of Psychology
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~jquesada		Sussex University