[R] programming advice?

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Fri Apr 21 18:04:10 CEST 2006

Many thanks to Duncan Murdoch, Thomas Lumley, Patrick Burns, and Seth
Falcon, for the illuminating advice, which will be found in the R-help
archives.

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Charles Annis, P.E.
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:46 AM
To: R-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R] programming advice?

Dear R-helpers:

I am doing some exploratory programming and am considering a routine that
has several other routines defined within it, so that I can avoid a large
and messy global re-programming to avoid naming conflicts.

My question is this:  Because it is interpreted, does R have to re-build
these internal routines every time the new routine is called?  I'm not
overly worried right now about speed, but since my test cases currently run
for several minutes (which is a long time to me) I don't want to learn a
lesson the hard way that you, kind readers, might help me avoid.

Thanks.