[R] About poisson distribution fitting and testing

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Apr 23 06:04:20 CEST 2006

	  The easiest, general function in R that I know for fitting
distributions is "fitdistr" in library(MASS).  However, for Poisson, I
might also try "glm(y~1, family = poisson, ...)".  Regarding testing for
goodness of fit, I just got 44 hits for RSiteSearch("goodness of fit to
Poisson").

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves
p.s.  My reply might have been more informative if you had provided
example data.  For example, for the Poisson, the theoretical variance
equals the mean.  Clearly, if the sample mean and variance are 6 and 11,
that alone could raise questions about the adequacy of the Poisson
assumption, depending on the sample size.