[R] Comparing GLMMs and GLMs with quasi-binomial errors?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 07:52:50 CEST 2006

AIC is only valid for maximum likelihood fitting, so not for PQL and also
not for quasi-binomial.  In particular, who said AIC() was valid when
applied to a glmmPQL fit?  (Certainly not the book it supports!)

You say TreeID is a `blocking factor', but you have a treatment (PLATEAU)
that is confounded with your blocks.  That complicates things, but with a
maximum of four blocks in each level of plateau, you have very little
information on the difference in soil type if you believe TreeID has
appeciable variability.

You can choose between the glm and glmmPQL fits by testing if the
TreeID variance component is non-zero, although the distribution theory is
only very approximate.

A much simpler analysis would be to analyse the two soil types separately
with TreeID as a classic blocking factor (a fixed effect).  That would
tell you the effect of DISTANCE within each level of PLATEAU and provide
enough info to do a t-test to compare the estimated effects.  As for the
effect of PLATEAU, just use the mean proportions for each tree and a
two-sample t-test.